A few years ago before I started working with Griffin, I concocted a magic trick with my iTrip. I’ve always had a fascination with cool illusions, not big glamorous stuff but original fun stuff instead. While playing with my iTrip, I created the iTrip Static Radio Trick.
Make sure you are near a terrestrial radio. Tell your friend you want to do a card trick on him. Force him the six of hearts (see Set Up), and have him show it to any spectators present. Turn your head away to be sure no one thinks you’re peaking. Now have him return the card to the deck and shuffle it.
Take the shuffled deck and add some theatrics. For example, tap the deck on the top of your head to concentrate on the card, or attempt to read your friend’s mind to see the card. Look frustrated.
Flip on his radio to the sound of static, and crank up the volume. Tell him that the static helps you concentrate. Suddenly, a woman’s voice appears on the radio from nowhere. The mysterious woman chooses his card, and the radio returns to static. Your friends will be amazed.
The Set Up:
- Learn how to force a card. It’s actually very simple. You’ll be forcing the six of clubs.
- Download this MP3 (Right Click and choose SAVE AS), and have it ready to play on your iPod or iPhone.
- Tune your iTrip to an available radio frequency on your friend’s radio. If pre-tuning isn’t possible, you can always do this trick at your house.
- Be sure the volume is loud enough, so your friends will hear the MP3.
- You’ll have 20 seconds of static before the woman’s voice begins.
- Either stash your iPod near the stereo before you hit play, or play it from your pocket.
- Quickly turn off the radio before the static ends.
Your friends will gasp when the mysterious woman chooses his card. This worked really well when I performed it several times. I should add that it also helped get me a job at Griffin . Have fun!