Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but not when it leads to bad products and negative customer experiences. In 2012, Homeland Security reported more than 22,000 takedowns of illegal online merchants trafficking counterfeit merchandise, with a total street value of more than $100 million.
And we’re not immune. We’ve seen an increased number of inquiries in Support and across all of our consumer channels asking to confirm the whether a Griffin product is authentic. Here are some ways to protect your self (and your devices) from the heartbreak of fake goods. So whether you’re shopping Griffin stuff or other stuff online, keep these tips in mind.
1) Retailers have got the goods. Guaranteed. When you shop with one of our bricks and mortar retail partners, the product you’re receiving is genuine Griffin, designed in Nashville, manufactured in China, and shipped to secure warehouses and retailers around the world. Don’t see your retailer here? No worries. Many independent retailers who sell our products purchase through our network of authorized distributors.
2) GriffinTechnology.com has got the goods, too. We run a pretty nifty webstore and would love to sell you product. And remember, orders over $29.99 ship free.
3) Check the product you’re about to purchase online against griffintechnology.com. If you’re looking at a color you don’t see on our site, or a product for a device we don’t seem to support (Survivor for Jitterbug), look elsewhere for the real goods.
4) Check the packaging – with very few exceptions, we sell all of our products in sealed retail packaging. If you’re buying a product that bills itself as “new,” it should be in sealed retail packaging. Fake products’ packaging will often look or feel cheap, with typos, poor-quality printing and other errors.
5) Newer products tend to bring higher prices. Looking at our site, you can see that products for discontinued devices are sold at pretty substantial discounts. However, a Powerblock with a Lightning Connector is likely selling for our full Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price. While online retailers can set their own prices, the bigger a gap that exists between what we sell it for and what the online retailer is selling it for, the better the changes are that it’s a knockoff.
I bought a genuine Griffin product and something’s wrong!
Every Griffin product carries a year-long warranty and is supported by our Support Team in Nashville. Something goes wrong, you call us at 800-208-5996 or reach us online.
Ah. Mah. Gah. I bought a fake product! Now what?
First and foremost, contact the seller directly by email explaining that you believe you’ve received counterfeit merchandise and that you’d like your money back. In our experience, the seller is looking to avoid hassle, so they often find it easier to return your money than to dispute your claim. If that doesn’t work, contact the site’s resolution center. But time is of the essence. The longer time that elapses between your purchase and action, the better the chances are that the seller you purchased from has disappeared.
So what about you? Have you purchased counterfeited merch you thought was the real deal?